Indonesia Hit by Nearly 1000 Aftershocks Following Major 7.7 Earthquake– legalinsurrection.com
News Source
EXCERPT:
A powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia’s eastern region this weekend, killing at least 53 people and triggering nearly 1,000 aftershocks.
Rescuers raced to find survivors after the powerful earthquake shook the Flores region at 5:58 a.m. local time Saturday and it was quickly followed by a second, 6.4-magnitude quake that struck the country’s western Sumatra island.
Authorities said more than 130 residents were injured and warned that the death toll would almost certainly rise.
The U.S. Geological Survey said the first quake’s epicenter was 42 miles north-northwest of the city of Ende in East Nusa Tenggara province. It triggered a tsunami warning that forced coastal residents to move to higher ground, but authorities later lifted the alert after monitoring showed no significant sea-level changes.
The head of the National Disaster Management Agency, Suharyanto, said rescuers recovered at least 47 bodies Saturday immediately following the quakes, mostly in Sikka, Manggarai and East Manggarai.
A 7.7 magnitude earthquake shook parts of eastern Indonesia on Saturday, including Padar Island, where tourists were seen hunkering down as the tremors hit. Authorities said dozens were injured in two separate earthquakes in Indonesia, and so far, at least 47 people are dead. pic.twitter.com/98RLboHhNR
— CBS News (@CBSNews) August 15, 2026

